WOWSA OCEAN FEST
SAT OCT 5 & SUN OCT 6
SEASIDE LAGOON REDONDO BEACH
ABOUT THE EVENT
The World Open Water Swimming Association (WOWSA) brings you Ocean Fest 2019.
Location: All events within Seaside Lagoon & the beach right next to the Redondo Beach Pier. Three days and so many events!
Saturday October 5th | 10am – 4pm
The TED Talks of open water swimming, come listen to how the sport is growing, inspiring, and making history. There’s much to learn too with talks on training, equipment, safety, and more.
10AM – 12PM Wave Makers
- A Welcome from Redondo Beach Mayor Bill Brand followed by a rockstar line-up of Ted Talk style inspirational speakers
12PM – 2PM – Get Wet Clinics
- Whether you’re looking for ocean safety or confidence or want tips to help you win the 10k race on Sunday, find the right in-the-water clinic for you.
2PM – 4PM – Water Wellness
- Short talks from coaches, psychologists, nutritionists and environmentalists connecting the health of your mind, body and the planet.
4PM – 6PM – Fun, Games & Beer Garden
- Exhibition Volleyball Match, Belly Flop Contest & 10& Under Mini-Race in the lagoon.
REDONDO BEACH COASTAL CHALLENGE
Sunday October 6th | 8am – 3pm
Join us at what is currently the proposed location for the 10km Marathon Swim of 2028’s Olympic Games. Who knows, this might even start you down the road to the LA games!
8AM – 9AM – Safety Briefing
9AM – 10K Start
9:30AM – 5K Start
9:45AM – 1K Start
10AM – 200m Splash & 100m Dash
12PM – 2PM – Music & Games
2PM- 3PM – Awards, Raffle & Closing Ceremony
WOWSA AWARDS &
GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS
Saturday October 5th, 2019 | 6pm - 8pm
Every year we acknowledge and celebrate the men and women who are champions both in and out of the water. As our sport grows, we aim to keep the history books up-to-date with the achievements of those who made a difference.
Adventure - Tenacity - Perserverance
Ion Lazarenco Tiron
MAN OF THE YEAR
- First person from the republic of Moldova to achieve the Oceans seven
- Completed a 100km 3-day stage swim called the Swim of Peace on the river Prut to celebrate 100 years of unity between Moldova & Romania
- Nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize
WOMAN OF THE YEAR
- The 20-year-old Polish swimmer from Lodz set two International Winter Swimming records
- Association world records in the 50m and 200m breaststroke
- Aleksandra also completed a Catalina Channel crossing in 12 hours and 7 minutes
PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR
- The British celebrity author swam a 157-day circumnavigation around the coastlines of England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland
- With the help of Red Bull Media House, his detailed documentation of the conditions were educational and inspirational
OFFERING OF THE YEAR
- Joesef Koberl, president of the Ice Swimming Association Austria, with Italian Paolo
- Chiarino, Dane Sinne Lundgard organized the world's first high-altitude glacier swim camp in Austria's Hintertuxer Gletscher